Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Weeknd - House of Balloons


So, I've been gone from the blogging scene for a little bit, had a busy week full of ups and downs, and my head's upside-down. Just thought I'd share what I've had playing on repeat all week long; they're called The Weeknd (yes, missing a vowel, just pretend it doesn't phase you).

Already with over 17 000 "likes" on social media website Facebook, The Weeknd's first mixtape "House of Balloons" has people in a frenzy over the sexy, dreamy R&B-electronic blend that just sounds so good no matter your mood.

Each song on the cd tells its own story, the ups and downs in 20-year old Abel Tesfaye's life, or maybe someone else's. When I heard he used samples and lyrical references from some of my favourite artists (Beach House, Aaliyah and Souxsie and the Banshees, to name a few), I was even more-so impressed. It's truly soul music with no limits; tragedy, depression, raw pain to melancholic euphoria (is that even possible?). The Weeknd is purely real.

Straight out of Toronto, The Weeknd already has A-list fans, from Canadian rapper Drake who regularly tweets his lyrics, to superstar music magazines Billboard and Rolling Stone.

I know you really want to listen to this now: go to www.the-weeknd.com and download it for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment